Sunday, December 6, 2009

Protopic 0,03% Trial - Day 1-25 Summary

About three weeks ago I started a Protopic 0.03% (topical tacrolimus) treatment prescribed by my doctor. I have been rubbing a thin layer of cream on the affected areas of my lips twice a day (in morning and before going to bed).

Have it helped?
I have not noticed any significant improvement so far. The only thing I have noticed is that the skin underneath the peeling skin might be less raw than before.

Side effects?
I was very hesitant to try Protopic as I wrote in this post. Luckily enough I have not been noticing any of the scary side effects (not even the very common burning sensation). On day 3 my lip felt slightly numb though, and on day 5 I felt a ticklish sensation on my lip when touching it with a cotton swap. Other than that, nothing.

Current peeling cycle
My current peeling cycle looks like this: the skin builds up like before over the course of 1-3 days. On the forth day I can usually peel everything off without too much force. On day 5 and 6 my lips look their best. Day 7 it all starts over again. Sometimes this cycle differ a little.

I have not got any treatment time limit so I will have to book a phone meeting with my doctor and ask. Until then I will continue using Protopic.



Decent day.


Not so good day.


Good day.

3 comments:

  1. i had this exact same problem. i went to 7 different doctors for it and none of them could help me. they prescribed me so many different creams and pills but none worked. i decided to just deal with it. what i did was in the morning i would put regular petroleum jelly thick on my lips and let sit for like 20 minutes then wipe all the skin off. i did that same thing at night before going to bed. after almost 8 maybe 9 months it went away. i had this chelitis for 2 and a half years and it just went away on its own, along with me using the petroleum jelly.

    try this and maybe it will help because i know exactly what your going through, and ill tell you this doctors wont help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please tell me if you rid of the cheilitis and how.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use vaslin petroleum jelly before sleeping and whenever lip dry. Don't lick the lip and don't breathe from mouth. Try this

    ReplyDelete